I made this up last night for supper and it turned out really great! It is always so satisfying when you think up something on the fly and it is a success! I will definitely make this one again.
I made the dough in my bread maker – but you could use dough from a grocery store or even a pre-made flat bread or Indian nan (that would be fantastic!).
- 1 ball pizza or white bread dough
- cornmeal for dusting the pan
- 1/2 large red onion
- 2 medium size red peppers
- bunch of fresh asparagus
- handful of fresh basil, chopped fine
- 2/3 of a small can of good quality pizza sauce
- 3 tbsp. smokey BBQ sauce
- 2 cups cooked chicken (I bought one of those market / grocery store roasted whole chickens for this recipe – it was quick, easy and delicious!)
- a sprinkle of dried oregano, rosemary and marjoram (this is what I have on hand, dried from my garden, but you could also use your favourite Italian herb mix)
- 1 cup grated “herb” havarti cheese
- 1.5 cups grated mozzarella cheese
- S&P and olive oil
Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
Slice onion and red peppers into rings and place on cookie sheet with a good sprinkle of olive oil, salt, pepper and your dried herbs (not the fresh basil!). Roast in the oven 15 mins or so – until soft and sweet.
Reduce oven temp. to 350.
Trim asparagus, salt it lightly and cook for 4 minutes in microwave (I put mine in a glass pie plate with 2-3 tsp. water and cover with plastic wrap). Set aside to cool, then slice into 2 inch pieces.
Dust a second large cookie sheet with cornmeal. Set aside. Roll dough (dust rolling surface with flour to prevent sticking) until fairly thin and large enough to cover your sheet pan and hang just over the sides.
Place dough on pan and brush edges with olive oil and sprinkle with salt (i like the flaky sea salt for this – if you have it – it gives the crust a nice crunch).
Mix BBQ sauce and pizza sauce together in a bowl and spread evenly over dough – leaving 1/4 inch along edges.
Spread shredded, cooked chicken over sauce. Spread onion / red pepper mixture over the chicken and top with asparagus pieces. Sprinkle chopped basil over pizza and top with your cheeses.
Bake 20-25 minutes or until crust is golden and cheese is melted and bubbly.
This would be excellent with a salad for a casual dinner party or cut into small wedges as an appetizer!